Terms and Conditions
Eligibility to bet:
1. No person may apply for an account or place a bet with BET.co.za or enforce any debt arising out of a bet unless such person -
(i) is a natural person (companies, close corporations and other corporate entities are disqualified from betting);
(ii) is at least 18 years of age;
(iii) has completed in full an account application form, complied with FICA requirements and been accepted as an account holder by BET.co.za;
(iv) is not listed on the register of excluded persons referred to in section 14 of the National Gambling Act, 2004, and
(v) is not in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
2. Any person who completes the account application form warrants thereby that he/she has read, understood and accepted these Terms and Conditions and all Rules relating to betting on sporting events or horseracing or any other lawful contingency published on this Site from time to time; and will be deemed thereby to have made an application requesting BET.co.za to –
(i) conclude an agreement in accordance with these Terms and Conditions for the provision of a horse racing and sports betting service to such person (hereinafter “the Customer”);
(ii) for the purposes of paragraph (i), to open an account in the name of the Customer,
which application shall be deemed to have been granted, and the which account shall be deemed to have been opened, if BET.co.za informs the Customer thereof or accepts a bet or bets subsequent to receipt of the completed account application form.
3. The Customer warrants that all information provided in the account application form completed by him/her is and shall remain true and correct. The Customer undertakes forthwith, and in writing, to advise BET.co.za of any and all matters or changes in details that might have bearing on an approved application or the Customer’s’ creditworthiness, legal capacity or continued eligibility as a customer.
4. BET.co.za –
(i) reserves the right to –
a. accept an application for a new account;
b. decline an application for a new account for any reason whatsover
c. cease accepting bets from a Customer in its sole discretion for any reason whatsoever, which reason BET.co.za shall not be obliged to furnish or disclose to the Customer or any other person, and
(ii) shall decline an application for a new account if –
a. the account application form has not been completed in full, and/or
b. the information contained in the account application form is found to be incorrect or subject to a material omission, and/or
c. any information required to be submitted in conjunction with the application form, or requested by BET.co.za prior or subsequent to the submission of the application form is not provided by the applicant in the manner or format or within such timeframes as BET.co.za may specify.
5. The Customer shall be solely responsible for the safekeeping and proper use of all his/her account details and other information that will enable him/her to place a bet. The Customer undertakes that he/she shall –
(i) not apply for or hold more than one account with BET.co.za;
(ii) not apply for an account in the name of or on behalf of any other person, and
(iii) not permit or enable any other person to place a bet, directly or indirectly, by making use of such account reference number, user name or personal identification number as is or may be furnished to the Customer by BET.co.za from time to time
and BET.co.za shall accordingly not be liable to honour any transaction pertaining to any account so held or applied for or to pay out any winnings in respect of any bet so placed. The Customer indemnifies BET.co.za against any claims, losses or damages arising from such bets.
6. The Customer undertakes to notify BET.co.za immediately in the event that the Customer’s account information is lost, stolen, misappropriated, or utilized by someone other than the Customer or the Customer has reason to believe that any of these circumstances has occurred. The Customer shall be liable for all bets placed with BET.co.za and any payments made by/to BET.co.za in respect of any purchase and/or transaction concluded on the Customer’s account prior to notification in accordance with this clause.
Contingencies on which betting is offered:
7. BET.co.za shall, in its sole discretion, determine the markets, events or contingencies on which betting shall be offered by it.
(i) Multiple Bets are not accepted where the outcome of one part of the bet contributes to the outcome of another. If a client inadvertently or deliberately backs a related contingency in a multiple bet, the bet will be voided and the stakes returned.
a) Any multiple made up of more than one selection from the same event will be deemed a related contingency. i.e. Stormers to win the semi finals onto Stormers to win the Tournament.
b) Any multiples involving the same team or its players, or the same selection will be deemed a related contingency. i.e. AB de Villiers to be man of the match and South Africa to win the match.
8. BET.co.za may from time to time determine a minimum or maximum amount that may be staked as a bet in respect of any market, whether in general or in any given case. It shall be the responsibility of the Customer to enquire before placing a bet on a market as to whether such maximum or minimum is applicable to that market and, if so, the extent thereof.
9. BET.co.za may determine minimum or maximum amounts that a Customer may win or lose in respect of a bet (“stop wins” and “stop losses”), whether in general or in any given case. It shall be the responsibility of the Customer to enquire before placing a bet on a market as to whether such maximum or minimum is applicable to that market and, if so, the extent thereof.
10. BET.co.za may, in its sole discretion, from time to time offer the opportunity to Customer’s to place bets during the course of a certain event (“bets in-running”), provided that –
(i) BET.co.za may not accept bets in-running in respect of an event that forms part of a series of events over a period of time, and
(ii) if the relevant event is not televised, no bets in-running shall be offered.
11. The nature and extent of any spreads offered by BET.co.za shall be determined from time to time at the sole discretion of BET.co.za and it shall be the responsibility of the Customer to enquire, before placing a bet, what the ruling spread is.
Procedure for placing bets:
12. The Customer shall place his/her bets via the internet, or if using the mobile betting platform, per telephone via the telephone number furnished by BET.co.za from time to time or through such other electronic media as may be made available by BET.co.za.
13. Irrespective of the origin or physical location of any telephone call or electronic signal pursuant to which bets are struck, any betting transaction between BET.co.za and the Customer shall be valid only once such bet has been accepted by an employee of BET.co.za situated at a licensed premises operated by BET.co.za, or electronically by a software programme operated from any such premises. Any such bet will be deemed to have been placed at such licensed premises.
14. BET.co.za may in its sole discretion elect whether to accept or to reject a bet requested, or any component thereof.
15. The Customer authorizes and consents to each telephone conversation or electronic communication relating to any bet placed being recorded by BET.co.za in such manner as BET.co.za deems fit and to retain such recording as long as BET.co.za deems necessary. The Customer acknowledges that BET.co.za is required to keep such recordings by law and that such recordings may be used by BET.co.za for the investigation and resolution of disputes which may arise between itself and the Customer or for any other lawful purpose.
16. The Customer shall bear the responsibility of ensuring that the bet is accurately placed and recorded by BET.co.za. BET.co.za shall furnish such confirmation of a bet to the Customer as may be required by law or reasonably requested by the Customer.
17. BET.co.za shall accept bets during normal South African business hours and at such other times as BET.co.za may deem fit.
18. The Customer shall be responsible for ensuring that he/she has full knowledge of the rules applicable to the market within which the Customer proposes to place a bet.
19. The placement of a bet signifies the Customer’s acceptance of the Rules published by BET.co.za in respect thereof and of these Terms and Conditions.
20. Unless agreed to in writing and signed by Sedley Barr all individual and/or multiple (in one transaction i.e. as recorded per bet) betting transactions of whatsoever nature will be limited to a maximum payout (liability) of R500 000 (five hundred thousand rand only). In accordance with this rule you hereby agree not to transact the same betting transaction (so as to circumvent this rule) in another separate betting transaction (either on your own account or by utilising the account of another person) and should you do so then you acknowledge that Bet.co.za will have the right, in its sole and unfettered discretion, to cancel the original and any other similar betting transactions to which you are a party i.e. before any of the events indicated in the betting transaction have commenced and/or during or after any of the events have commenced and/or have been completed i.e. in such circumstances you will only be entitled to a refund of the amount staked and more particularly will not be entitled to claim any amount should the whole and/or part of the betting transaction have been successful / partly successful.
21. While BET.co.za will endeavour to ensure complete accuracy in relation to the announcement, publication and issue of prices, off-times (starting times of events) and results, it does not accept responsibility for any errors which may arise in this regard and reserves the right to correct any such errors in such manner as it may determine in its sole discretion. The Customer indemnifies and holds BET.co.za harmless in respect of any losses, whether potential or actual and direct or indirect, which may be suffered in consequence of any such error.
22. Any bet alleged to have been placed in respect of which the details are not –
(i) recorded on or reflected by BET.co.za betting terminals or wagering software, or
(ii) confirmed by voice recording devices
will not be recognized by BET.co.za.
23. The time of acceptance of a bet shall be the time at which such bet was recorded on BET.co.za betting terminals and/or wagering software.
24. Any bet accepted after the “off” or starting time of the event on which such bet is struck (other than bets in-running) shall be null and void and of no force or effect. Any bets taken on results already known at the time of the placement of such bets will be voided/cancelled by BET.co.za.
25. Additional or new markets may be made available by BET.co.za from time to time. It is the responsibility of the Customer to read the "Market Rules" applicable before placing any bets.
Payment by the customer:
26. In the account application form, the Customer shall indicate that the Customer wishes to bet against –
(i) a cash deposit placed with BET.co.za by the Customer from time to time by way of an electronic funds transfer evidenced by a bank generated facsimile transmission or e-mail confirming the amount paid and reflecting the Customer’s account number, or
(ii) an amount of cash to be drawn by BET.co.za as a deposit from the Customer’s credit card account,
(iii) a Ukash voucher.
(iv) No cheques will be accepted as payment.
27. The Customer acknowledges that the deposit referred to in Clause 26 will be held and applied as security for the discharge by the Customer of any amount which may become owing by the Customer to BET.co.za.
28. The Customer shall under no circumstances place a bet or attempt to place any bet the amount of which, calculated together with any other bets then outstanding, exceeds the Customer’s credit balance with BET.co.za, or the net amount on deposit with BET.co.za (after all adjustments in respect of taxes, winnings and losses up to the time of placing of the bet). It shall be the Customer’s responsibility before placing a bet to determine whether his/her credit balance or cash deposit, as the case may be, will be exceeded by placing a bet.
29. If, owing to a system malfunction or for any other reason, BET.co.za accepts a bet referred to in Clause 28, it shall be entitled at its election either prior to, during or after the outcome of the event or contingency upon which the bet was placed, to honour the bet or to refund the Customer’s stake in respect of the bet without regard to any winnings thereon. Alternatively, BET.co.za may restrict the size of any stake without notification to the Customer, to ensure that the credit limit or deposit, as the case may be, is not exceeded.
30. Acceptance by BET.co.za of a bet over the credit or deposit limit, as the case may be, shall not constitute a waiver of its rights –
(i) to collect from the Customer all amounts (including losses) arising from such bet, or
(ii) to enforce the appropriate deposit limits at any later time.
31. BET.co.za shall debit the Customer’s account in respect of bets accepted by BET.co.za on an ongoing basis.
32. Credit card deposits may only be made by the cardholder whose name is displayed on the credit card, which must match the name in which the BET.co.za betting account is held. (Unless verbally agreed on a recorded telephone line)
33. BET.co.za reserves the right to charge a 5% administration fee on amounts deposited by credit card.
Payment to the customer:
34. BET.co.za shall credit the Customer’s account in respect of winnings and refunds accruing to the Customer in consequence of bets placed on an ongoing basis.
35. No interest shall accrue on any deposits held by BET.co.za.
36. In the event that funds are incorrectly credited to a Customer’s account, it shall be incumbent on the customer to notify BET.co.za of the aforesaid error without delay. Unless otherwise notified by BET.co.za, any betting transactions concluded by the Customer subsequent to the error shall be void.
Recovery of amounts owing to BET.co.za:
37. In the event of a debit balance in the Customer’s account owing to the acceptance of a bet in excess of the credit or deposit limit, the Customer shall, within three (3) business days of a written demand by BET.co.za for payment of same, pay to BET.co.za such amount either –
(i) by depositing the relevant amount directly into the banking account of BET.co.za, in which event –
a. the Customer’s account number with BET.co.za must be entered onto the base of the deposit Slip; and
b. a copy of the deposit slip must be forwarded to BET.co.za by the Customer, or
(ii) by furnishing BET.co.za with written authorisation, in such format as BET.co.za shall require, for the recovery by BET.co.za of the relevant amount from the Customer’s credit card company.
38. BET.co.za shall not –
(i) under any circumstances whatsoever be liable to the Customer if the Customer’s credit card company refuses to honour any claim lodged by BET.co.za against the Customer’s credit card. No dispute of whatever nature between a Customer and the credit card company shall exempt the Customer from his liability to BET.co.za in respect of payment and the Customer shall not be entitled to instruct BET.co.za to reverse a payment instruction that has already been made to the Customer’s credit card company;
(ii) be responsible for –
a. any failure, malfunction or delay of any electronic funds transfer unit or other credit card processing machine or its supporting or sharing network, resulting from circumstances beyond the control of BET.co.za, or
b. any damages, loss or expense which the Customer may suffer as a result thereof, and
(iii) be liable for any loss or damage suffered by the Customer as a result of the unauthorized access to any data or as a result of incorrect information supplied through an electronic funds transfer unit or other credit card processing machine or its supporting or sharing network.
39. The Customer shall be entitled to replenish any cash deposit referred to in Clause 26(i) at any time.
40. The Customer shall be entitled to request the withdrawal of funds standing to the credit of his/her BET.co.za account and the transfer thereof into a chequing, savings or credit card account nominated by him/her for this purpose, by completing a Request for Electronic Transfer of Funds Form, available on the website of BET.co.za and submitting same to BET.co.za in such manner and format as BET.co.za may determine and shall publish on its website from time to time.
41. The Customer shall be solely responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the information supplied in any Request for Electronic Transfer of Funds Form and, by his/her signature of such Form, shall warrant the accuracy thereof. BET.co.za shall accept no liability for the payment of any amount requested into any banking account based in whole or in part on incorrect information provided by the Customer.
42. On receipt of a fully completed Request for Electronic Transfer of Funds Form, BET.co.za shall –
(i) perform such investigation as may be required to confirm that the amount requested by the Customer, after effecting all deductions or adjustments which may be required, is available to be transferred from the Customer’s BET.co.za account to the banking account nominated by the Customer for this purpose;
(ii) if the requested amount is not available in the Customer’s BET.co.za account, inform the Customer in such manner as BET.co.za may deem fit, that the request has been declined;
(iii) in the event that the requested amount is available in the Customer’s BET.co.za account, effect, within 24 hours of confirming the availability of the amount, the electronic transfer of the requested amount from the BET.co.za account of the Customer to the account nominated by the Customer; provided that, for the purposes of this Clause, BET.co.za shall be deemed to have fully complied with its obligation to effect such transfer at the time of giving the instruction to its bankers to effect such transfer and the 24-hour period contemplated in this Clause shall not include such further period as may elapse before the requested amount is deposited into the banking account nominated by the Customer for this purpose, and
(iv) immediately reduce the balance standing to the credit of the BET.co.za account of the Customer by the amount so transferred,
(v) Bet.co.za does not allow the opening of accounts with non-South African addresses, contact details and/or bank accounts. Due to Exchange Control restrictions no withdrawal request to a non-South Afican bank account will be processed, i.e. only payments to the following bank accounts will be processed: ABSA, FirstRand Bank, Standard Bank, Nedbank, Capitec and Investec. In the event of a withdrawal request to a non-South African bank account all payments to fund the account will be reversed and bets cancelled. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to query whether a bank account will qualify for withdrawal if unsure.
Adjustments by BET.co.za:
43. BET.co.za may at any time adjust or cancel the Customer’s credit limit.
44. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein contained, BET.co.za shall be entitled to set-off any amount(s) due by the Customer against any funds standing to the credit of any of the customer’s accounts with BET.co.za or to realize any security held by BET.co.za and to use the proceeds towards payment of any amount due by the Customer to BET.co.za.
Proof of indebtedness:
45. A certificate signed by any director, manager, assistant manager, trader or accountant of BET.co.za (whose appointment need not be proved) stating the amount of the Customer’s indebtedness to BET.co.za, shall be prima facie proof of such indebtedness.
Taxes and Levies:
46. All winning bets in respect of horseracing are subject to taxes and levies imposed by the provincial government (currently collectively 6%). Taxes and Levies shall be retained by BET.co.za and paid over on behalf of the player.
47. BET.co.za shall have the right prior to accepting any bet, temporarily to suspend or permanently to terminate, the furnishing of betting services to a Customer without providing any reason. Upon such suspension or termination –
(i) BET.co.za shall upon the demand of the Customer, refund to the Customer the balance of any monies held by BET.co.za on deposit for the Customer, after adjusting for losses, winnings and taxes and once such funds have been cleared into BET.co.za’s bank account;
(ii) any amounts owing by the Customer to BET.co.za shall become payable immediately.
48. The Customer shall upon written notice to BET.co.za be entitled to terminate its contractual relationship with BET.co.za at any time after final conclusion of any betting transaction placed by the Customer and after payment by the Customer of all amounts owing by the Customer to BET.co.za. BET.co.za shall within a reasonable time after such termination, refund to the Customer the balance of any monies held by BET.co.za on deposit for the Customer, after adjusting for losses, winnings and taxes.
49. BET.co.za shall accept no further bets from a Customer in respect whom the provision of services pursuant to these Terms and Conditions has been terminated, unless and until a fresh account application form has been submitted by the Customer and accepted by BET.co.za.
50. Should the Customer breach any of these Terms and fail to remedy such breach within 48 hours after receipt of written notice by BET.co.za requiring the Customer to do so, BET.co.za shall be entitled, without prejudice to any other rights it may have at law, forthwith to terminate its contractual relationship with the Customer and to terminate or suspend any bet placed by any such Customer, whether accepted or not, and/or to claim damages from the Customer. In such event –
(i) all amounts owing by the Customer to BET.co.za shall become payable immediately; and
(ii) BET.co.za shall have a lien and right of retention over all monies of the Customer on deposit with BET.co.za, pending settlement of such damages as may have been suffered by BET.co.za.
51. Notwithstanding the generality of the aforegoing, the Customer shall be deemed to be in default if –
(i) the Customer dies;
(ii) the Customer commits any act of insolvency;
(iii) the estate of the Customer is sequestrated;
(iv) the Customer endeavours to compromise generally with his/her creditors;
(v) the Customer’s name is entered into the register of excluded persons contemplated in section 14 of the National Gambling Act, 2004.
52. The Customer shall be liable for any legal expenses (including legal expenses on a client attorney scale, collection charges and tracing fees) as well as any amount governmental tax including but not limited to value-added tax, which BET.co.za may incur in recovering any amounts owing in respect of the Customer’s account or a result of the Customer’s breach of any of the conditions of use or the enforcement by BET.co.za of any of its rights against the Customer.
Limitation of liability:
53. The liability of BET.co.za to the Customer for any damages sustained by the Customer from any cause whatsoever including any damages arising out of the negligence of BET.co.za or that of its servants, agents or sub-contractors, shall in any event and under all circumstances be limited –
(i) in the event of damages relating to a bet, to the amount staked by the Customer in respect of such bet; or
(ii) in respect of the account of the Customer with BET.co.za, to the credit balance of such account at the time during which the damages are alleged to have occurred, after full adjustment for winnings, losses and taxes.
54. Notwithstanding any other provisions in these Terms and Conditions, BET.co.za shall under no circumstances whatsoever be liable for any loss of profits, winnings or potential profits or winnings or any indirect or consequential damages sustained by the Customer, whether or not caused by the negligence of BET.co.za, its agents or employees.
55. Insofar as any of the obligations of BET.co.za under these Terms and Conditions are carried out by any its servants, agents, sub-contractors, associates or subsidiaries, the provisions of Clauses 53 and 54 shall apply mutatis mutandis and each of them shall be exempted accordingly.
56. BET.co.za shall not be liable if the Customer is unable to place a bet due to congestion on the telephone lines, telephone system, telephone exchange, or any other electronic communication media used for the purposes of betting.
57. Any acts of God, war, strike, lock-out or other labour dispute, fire, flood, explosion, the enactment, amendment or repeal of legislation, failure of electricity or any other supplies, failure of telecommunications, failure, theft or default of any computer hardware or software or any other equipment or any other similar or different cause beyond the reasonable control of BET.co.za leading to the cessation and/or restriction of the operations of BET.co.za, shall entitle BET.co.za to postpone its obligations to the Customer in whole or in part, and in such event BET.co.za shall not be responsible for any damages of any nature suffered by the Customer, whether directly or indirectly, as a result thereof and the Customer shall not be entitled to terminate its contractual relationship with BET.co.za as a result of any such occurrence.
General Terms & Conditions:
58. The residential address furnished by the Customer on the account application form shall serve as his/her domicilium citandi et executandi for all purposes in respect of these Terms and Conditions.
59. The physical address reflected in respect of BET.co.za on its website, as amended from time to time, shall serve as its domicilium citandi et executandi for all purposes in respect of these Terms and Conditions.
60. The Customer shall have the right to change its domicile by giving one week’s prior written notice to BET.co.za of its change of address.
61. Any notice given in terms of Clause 60 which:
(i) is delivered by hand to an officer or manager of the BET.co.za during the normal business hours of the addressee at its domicilium citandi et executandi, shall be deemed to have been received by BET.co.za at the time of delivery; or
(ii) is posted by pre-paid registered post to BET.co.za at its domicilium citandi et executandi, shall be deemed to have been received by on the seventh day after the date of posting; or
(iii) is transmitted by telefax to BET.co.za at its domicilium citandi et executandi, shall be deemed to have been received on the date reflected on the facsimile transmission confirmation generated by the addressor’s facsimile machine.
62. BET.co.za may at any time amend, replace or delete any of the Terms and Conditions contained herein and shall ensure that current Terms and Conditions are available on its website. It shall be the responsibility of the Customer to ensure that he/she is familiar with the prevailing Terms and Conditions in force from time to time and the availability thereof on the website of BET.co.za shall constitute sufficient notice thereof to the Customer and shall bind the Customer as if it expressly agreed to be bound thereby.
63. In respect of any litigation arising between the Customer and BET.co.za, the Customer consents to the jurisdiction of the Magistrates Court which in terms of section 28 of the Magistrate’s Court Act, 1944 has jurisdiction over the Customer, in terms of section 45 of such Act.
64. Any relaxation or concession or extension granted by BET.co.za to the Customer shall not be and shall not be deemed to be a novation or waiver of any of BET.co.za’s rights as set forth in these Terms and Conditions.
65. BET.co.za is entitled to supply, request or acquire any relevant credit, account-related or other information pertaining to the Customer and his account with BET.co.za to or from –
(i) a credit bureau;
(ii) any bank or regulatory agency, or
(iii) any other person or entity,
should BET.co.za deem it necessary to supply, request or acquire said information for verification or other purposes, and the Customer shall have no right of recourse against BET.co.za by reason thereof.
66. The Terms and Conditions set forth herein constitute the whole agreement between BET.co.za and the Customer and no agreements, representations or warranties, other than those set out herein, shall be of any force or effect.
67. No addition to, variation, consensual cancellation or novation of any of the terms set forth herein and no express or implied waiver of any of the rights arising therefrom shall be of any force and effect unless reduced to writing and signed by BET.co.za and the Customer or their duly authorised representatives.
68. Any promissory note, bill of exchange, or other negotiable instrument received by BET.co.za from the Customer shall not be a novation of the debt in respect which it is given and the Customer waives any remedies provided for by law in respect thereof.
69. The resulting of any match will be decided by the official results attached to that particular league/tournament. Should the results. Should the result change for any reason, the updated result will be taken into consideration and payed out as such.
70. Should a customer deposit funds via Credit Card or Cheque Card, they shall be laible to send bet.co.za a copy of the front card with which they made the deposit. Failure will do this will result in failed withdrawal requests.
71. Any bet placed by the Customer shall be governed by the applicable provisions of the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Act, 1996 and any Regulations and Rules made in terms thereof, as amended from time to time. It shall be the responsibility of the Customer to ensure that he/she is aware of these provisions.
72. The Customer undertakes to ensure strict adherence to any policy, guideline or directive issued by the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Board relating to the Customer or to betting generally.
73. These Terms and Conditions and the contractual relationship between the Customer and BET.co.za shall be governed by the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
74. If the Customer places of a bet from a location falling outside the South African Monetary Area, such bet shall be subject to all appropriate exchange control regulations and the laws of the foreign jurisdiction from which such communication originates and it shall be the responsibility of the Customer to ensure full compliance with same. BET.co.za makes no warranties and shall not be liable to the Customer if it is not able to remit any monies held by it to any account held by the Customer in a foreign jurisdiction.
75. Although every effort is made to ensure that information displayed on our site with regards to an event is correct, it is to be used as a guide only. In the event of any particular information (score, time of game etc) being incorrect we assume no liability for this. The official site for that particular sport should be referred to in the event of any dispute.
No persons under the age of 18 years are permitted to Gamble.
BET.co.za is licensed as a Bookmaker by the Western Cape Gambling & Racing Board.
Gamble with your head and not your heart.
National Responsible Gambling Programme Toll-free Helpline: 0800 006 008